Among all the gaming consoles available in the gaming industry, the Nintendo Switch is one of the best. You can use your Nintendo Switch console to play hundreds of different games, ranging from standard to exclusive titles, both paid and free. But what sets this apart from your PC, PlayStation, and Xbox is that the Switch console is much more portable.
If you have a Switch, there’s no doubt that you already have an existing Nintendo account. Your Nintendo account allows you to use certain services that are required for Nintendo consoles. These services include access to the Nintendo eShop, off-device software purchases, and more.
Today, we’re going to discuss how you can unlink a Nintendo account from your Switch. We’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of unliking your Nintendo account on your Switch and answer a few frequently asked questions.
Now, let’s get into the article!
Unlinking Your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch
There can be various reasons as to why you might want to unlike your user account profile on your Nintendo Switch. Regardless of your reason for unlinking it, you can easily unlink it.
But before anything else, you have to be aware of these important notes before you unlink your Nintendo account. These include the following:
- Once a Nintendo account is already linked to a user account, this link can’t be undone, unless the user account is also deleted.
- When you delete a user account, any saved data on that account will also be deleted.
- This deleted data can not be restored unless it was backed up on the Save Data Cloud service.
- If you do wish to retain save data that’s not backed up by the cloud service, then do not delete the associated user account.
- Unlinking a Nintendo account will not delete the account or any of the associated purchases. This means that the account can be re-linked to another user account.
If you’ve taken note of these important notes, then follow these steps on how to unlink Nintendo Account from Switch:
- Turn on your Nintendo Switch.
- Click on “System Settings” which is located on your home screen.
- From the system settings, click on “User Settings” and choose the user profile you want to unlink.
- Once you’ve chosen the user profile, scroll down and click on the “Unlink Nintendo Account” button.
- Enter the PIN code in order to proceed.
- After entering the PIN code, press “Continue” to confirm that you want to unlink the Nintendo account for that user profile.
- Lastly, select “Unlink” to confirm the action again.
After completing these steps, your Nintendo account will be successfully unlinked from your Nintendo Switch.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens to your Nintendo Account when you Unlink it to Switch?
After unlinking your Nintendo account from your Switch, you won’t be able to find any of the games that are linked to that account on your Nintendo Switch system. To find these games again, you’ll have to log in to your account and link the account to the user profile.
How Many Nintendo Accounts Can Be Linked to One Switch?
Your Nintendo account can be linked to up to 8 devices. However, you can only activate your account on one device at a time.
To put it simply, if your account is linked to multiple consoles, you can only play on one device using that account.
Can I Have Two or More Primary Accounts on Switch?
No, you can’t have two primary accounts. You can only have one primary account. So, even if you can link up to 8 devices with one Nintendo account, only one account can be the primary/active at a time. This means that you can’t use two different Nintendo devices with one account to play games simultaneously.
How to Change the Primary Account on Switch?
To change the primary Nintendo account on your Nintendo Switch console, you first have to log out of your previously logged-in account. To do this, follow the guide mentioned above. After unlinking your existing Nintendo account, to link a new primary Nintendo account, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Nintendo Switch console and from your home screen, go to “User Settings.”
- From there, click on the “Link Nintendo Account” button.
- Now, you can either select “Sign in and Link” if you already have a Nintendo account, but if you don’t you can click on “Create Account.”
- If you select the “Sign in and Link,” you’ll have to enter the email and password of your existing account. If you selected “Create Account,” you’ll have to follow the instructions for creating an account.
Can Two Switches Have a Single Nintendo Account?
Yes, a Nintendo account can be linked to more than just one Nintendo Switch console. So, there’s no need to unlink the Nintendo account prior to linking it to a second console.
Can I Share My Switch Games with Other Accounts?
Yes, game sharing is okay with your family members or friends. However, that game can only work on one account at a time. If a different account tries to enter that game, the primary account will be kicked off the game. This will prevent any illegal game sharing.
How Can I Unregister a Nintendo Account From a Switch?
How to Delete a User Profile on My Switch?
If you want to delete a user profile from your Switch, you can follow these steps:
- From your main menu, click on “System Settings.”
- Next, choose the user profile you want to delete, scroll down, and select “Delete User.”
- Next, check the “Delete” button and click “Next.”
- Lastly, click on “Delete This User” to confirm the action
This will permanently delete the user profile.
That’s a wrap! We hope this article helped you learn how you can unlink your Nintendo account from your Switch console.
- How to Redeem Nintendo eShop Card [Gift Card and Code]
- How to Reset Nintendo Switch Lite?
- How to Stream Nintendo Switch to Discord?
If you want to read more gaming articles like this, check out our blog here.